A note from Bob Sargent (fwd)

Hi C-birders,

Bob sent this to the Virginia birding listserv (which is now being
archived on Jack Siler's website, if anyone is interested). However,
given the level of interest in wintering hummingbirds around here, I
think many Carolinabirders will enjoy reading it as well.

Just to provide context, the discussion leading up to Bob's note was on
the value, or lack thereof, of banding hummingbirds in winter in this
region: whether any of them survive, and whether banding might decrease
their chances of survival. Read on...

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Zoology