Re: Mystery Terns

At 09:44 PM 11/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I just made a trip down to the Outer Banks and Pea island Wildlife Refuge.
>While speeding back home across the bridge over Alligator River on
>Saturday morning I glimpsed quite a few small terns hovering over the
>middle of the river.

You might want to consider Bonaparte's Gulls.  These small, tern-like gulls
are fairly common in eastern NC in the winter, and they often behave just
as you have described, particularly in regard to their flocking behavior.

Norm

Norman Budnitz			919-684-3592 (day)
nbudnitz@duke.edu		919-383-0553 (eve)
				919-684-6168 (fax)

Dept of Zoology, Duke Univ, Box 90325, Durham NC 27708-0325 (work)
4115 Garrett Drive, Durham NC 27705-8005 (home)

PROGRESS: the victory of laughter over dogma.
(Tom Robbins, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas)