Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 10:30:38 -0500
From: Regulator Bookshop <regbook@mindspring.com>
To: mail@regbook.com
Subject: The season for science books?

MIND OF THE RAVEN: INVESTIGATIONS AND ADVENTURES WITH WOLF-BIRDS by Bernd
Heinrich (hardback, $25.00). One of the details that has stayed with me
from reading Heinrich's earlier book, RAVENS IN WINTER, was the story of
how he spent a Christmas Eve shivering in an unheated blind in the Maine
woods, excitedly observing the behavior of two pairs of ravens. Yes, the
man is a fanatic, but he can tell you some wonderful things about the
object of his passion--how these birds co-operate, play, use tools, and
maintain long-term relations. A fine writer, Heinrich was nominated for a
National Book Award for his first book, BUMBLEBEE ECONOMICS.