Ash-throated Flycatcher; Short-eared Owls - Outer Banks

Jeff Lewis and I went to Oregon Inlet Coast Guard Station separately this
afternoon, 12/12/99, in hopes of relocating the Ash-throated Flycatcher
observed by John and Paula Wright.  Both of us were successful.  The bird was
perched on the old Coast Guard Station on the north end of Pea Island and was
flycatching among the grasses there.  I was able to approach the bird within
20 feet and get excellent views.

On the drive down to Oregon Inlet and going home, I observed several, at
least three, Short-eared Owls hunting over the marshes of Bodie Island.  The
owls were seen at the same location on Bodie Island.  The owls were observed
from the road shoulder exactly 3.3 miles south of Whalebone Junction on HWY
12, between the observation platforms.  None were observed from the
platforms.  The owls were hunting over the open marshes to the west toward
the sunset.

Happy Birding

Keith Watson
Kill Devil Hills, NC