NSWO--Outer Banks

Talking with the receptionist at our vet's office (who operates a wildlife
rehab service along with her husband, who is a Dare Co. animal control
officer), she mentioned they had more owls this year than ever in the rehab
center. Most were car victims. Two weeks ago Fish & Wildlife brought in a
Saw-Whet, but she could not recall where it was located. The major F&W area
in this region is along the Alligator River (US F&W) and Mashoe's Rd (NC
F&W). You may recall that Mashoe's Rd was the location Jeff Lewis and others
spotted a NSWO during Wings Over Water. I'm hoping the owl did not come from
this area, as Jeff reports the owls often over-winter in Mashoes.

FYI, they currently have a Barred Owl female that is blind in one eye. They
also mentioned that a local Great Horned Owl had decimated their
'educational' flock of ducks, and they have now been relocated to a
protected area. They are applying for a permit to keep the Barred Owl to use
in educational programs in Dare County.

Russ Lay
Nags Head, NC
russlay@interpath.com