up close Woodcocks and where are the loons?

Howdy!!

We started off the new year by hearing a Carolina Wren and seeing a pair of
cardinals. So we have 2 birds as our first bird!!

Saturday afternoon we decided to check out Jordan Lake for ducks and loons.
NONE!! Usually by this time we've seen a Common Loon on Falls Lake. Are the
warmer weather and boats keeping loons away? Has anyone else seen loons in
the Triangle area yet? Let me know!

We saw a Red-headed Woodpecker on Big Woods Rd. There was an Eastern Phoebe
singing too.

No, we didn't go to Ebenezer, so we didn't see the crossbills that Will
reported about on Sunday. Darn! I wanted to see ducks, so we checked out West
Lake Pond. As Steve reported, most of the ducks have left!! There were a few
Canvasbacks, Am Wigeon, RN Ducks, and Bufflehead.

It was almost dusk and we were close to Steve's neighborhood, so we decided
to try for the woodcocks. We were THRILLED when a woodcock landed within 12
feet of us on the road!!! Oh my gosh!!! He stood there, peenting, and looking
at us with his beautiful eyes and long bill!! That was our closest look at a
woodcock! He flew up and around us. We actually had to duck, thinking he
might run into us! It was an EXCITING experience and a GREAT way to start a
new year of birding!

Happy birding this weekend!

Karen Bearden
Raleigh