Request for Painted Bunting photos

Hi,

        This is Pat Moore with a request from Hatteras Island:

Paul Sykes is setting up a study of Painted Buntings in the southeastern part of the country.  Because he wants to include the birds that winter on Hatteras Island, he is asking us who live here to locate the people who feed them.  We are learning that there are folks out there who feed the birds and enjoy their colors, but don't know their names or have any idea that there are biologists who want to study them.  The same is true of our wintering hummingbirds.

Here is what we want to do:  We want to publicize the need for knowing how wide-spread the buntings and hummers are.  The local newspaper, Coastland Times, has consented to running a front page story in living color about the birds.  We have everything we need for the story --- except for good, bright bunting photographs that would reproduce well in a newspaper.

Our request:  Painted Bunting photographs, male and female.  We want the islanders to know that they can contribute to the study by simply letting us know that the birds are present at their feeders.  The newspaper story, with good pictures, might reach people that we haven't been able to find.

Thanks for your help!   You can reach me at:

Pat Moore
Cape Hatteras Bird Club
PO Box 944
Buxton NC 27920