Possible Murrelet @ Fishing Creek

Betty and I made the trek over from Simpsonville today, arriving at the lake
abouth 12:15. Besides several DC Cormorants, and a single Bufflehead, a small
group of Horned Grebes were located across the lake, and to the far left of
the landing. One of these birds (at 45X) appeared to be smaller than the
grebes, with a shorter neck. Its diving sequence was different also, less of
a jump than the grebes. The bird was black and white, like the grebes, and
did not appear to have a white collar. I am rather familiar with both Marbled
and Kittzlitz's murrelets, and I would say this bird was in the same
category, though whether it is one of these, or the more likely Long-billed
murrelet, I cannot say. Someone with stronger optics (I would say a mirror
scope would be needed from shore) or a boat will have to make that call. By
the way, there were no fishermen about to try and inveigle a ride from!
Pete Worthington, Simpsonville, SC <bpworthing@aol.com>