Audubon ID answer

First, apologies to anyone who thought I was "Audubon-bashing"--no such
intentions.  I just thought it would be fun, like the photo-id quiz in
Birding mag, but with a little more detective work.

No correct answer yet; perhaps there was some confusion about WHICH Audubon
guide I'm talking about.  It's the newest edition (eastern), with the dark
green plastic/vinyl cover (originally with a paper dust-jacket with photo of
male Scarlet Tanager) published about 94 or 95 and still stocked in every
Barnes&Noble, Walden,etc.  Not the 1977 guide or the more recent, slimmer
books with gray covers and the photo of juvenal Mourning Doves for Com.
Ground-Doves.

Thanks to those who responded.  The bird in question is a Mexican and South
American species, but is labeled as a South Texas specialty.  If you've been
to Santa Ana NWR you've probably seen the real thing.

Tim Kalbach
grebe@mindspring.com
Columbia, SC