Cleveland County Venture

Carolinabirders:
Our first Venture of the year was held under beautiful, sunny spring-like
conditions to Cleveland County, NC.
It seemed hardly the conditions to go looking for winter birds, but we were
not to be disappinted. About 53 species were recorded that day in the
Lattimore, Shelby and Boiling Springs area.
Highlights included: Loggerhead Shrike (2), Horned Lark, American Pipit,
Rusty Blackbird and Northern Harrier. The day featured the wide variety of
sparrows found in the old cotton field habitats of the county, and aside
from the White-crowns (which we never could find!), we saw 7 species,
including 4 Fox Sparrows.
This area used to be very dependable for the Barn Owl population, but today
we had to be satisfied with abundant whitewash and pellets. You can't win
them all.
Our next Venture will be a day to concentrate on waterfowl in the Cowan's
Ford area of Charlotte on February 19. Join us as we fully explore the
entire refuge with local experts.
Call the Ventures office for further details or check out the website.
Good birding
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures, Inc. Birding & Natural History Tours
PO Box 1095, Skyland, NC 28776
Phone/Fax: 828.859.0382
simon@teleplex.net
http://www.birdventures.com