Short-eared Owl at Hooper Lane

At least 11 observers got good looks at a Short-eared Owl on Hooper Lane in
Henderson County Saturday afternoon.  I say at least because three other
folks arrived to look for the owl as the larger group was leaving.

The bird was first flushed from a lateral ditch in the sod field behind the
equipment shed.  It perched briefly in the field and then flew north into a
plowed field.  The group hiked the long distance around the edge of the
field, avoiding the sodded area, and again got good looks at the owl
perched and in flight.  We last saw it fly north into yet another planted
field.

It's one of the classiest-looking birds you can imagine, and for three of
the group, it was a lifer.  A great afternoon.

Len Pardue, Asheville, NC