Wake waterfowl, CBBT update

Since I know several birders interested in heading up to the Chesapeake Bay
Bridge Tunnel in the near future I wanted to share the results of our weekend
trip.  We headed up specifically to try for the BLACK TAILED GULL and were
rewarded with long looks at the bird on island #3.  The sleepy little guy spent
most of Saturday afternoon on the ocean side of three with its head under its
wing.  We (hopefully!) got some great photos of the head when the bird looked
around or repositioned itself.  Look for a Ring Billed sized bird with a mantle
similar in color to a Lesser Black Backed.  The legs are bright yellow, the tail
sporting a prominent black band.  The bill is an obvious fieldmark, long with a
black and red tip.  The bridge was productive for other birds as well including
a COMMON GOLDENEYE on island #2, two HARLEQUIN DUCKS on island #4, and dozens of
Oldsquaw and Surf Scoters nearly everywhere.  Also reported but not seen were 2
Black Legged Kittiwakes and 4 Iceland Gulls.

The White Winged Crossbills in Portsmouth, VA. were right on time, appearing at
the feeder Sunday morning at 8:30 am.  These really are beautiful birds if you
get a chance to see them.

The waterfowl picture in southern Wake County looked something like this as of
yesterday afternoon:

NCSU Pond- 18 Lesser Scaup, 8 Bufflehead, 2 Northern Shoveler & 33 Canada Geese

Greenview Pond- 80+ Green Winged Teal, 12 Ringnecks, 2 Tundra Swans, 2 Gadwall

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please