Broad-Winged Hawk pair - Conway, SC 1/17/00

My wife, Barbara, and I went canoeing from the Crabtree Watershed through
Kingston Lake to downtown Conway, SC today.  The terrain is cypress/mixed
hardwood swamp.  Lots of birds were present.  Good birds included:

Brown Creeper - at least 3, maybe 4
Anhinga - 2
2 separate consortia of Eastern Bluebirds eating mistletoe berries (swamp
birds?)
Broad-Winged Hawks - the canoe rounded a corner and two of these got out of
a tree on the bank, about 70' away.  We saw very small buteos (much smaller
than crows) with wide banded tails.  We noted "yellowish" breasts and
underwings - the same details we confirmed later on the "adult" BWH in the
National Geo. book.  Whereas we have seen a number of BWHs, these are the
first for us in several years.

Cheers,

Stephen Thomas
stype@sccoast.net