Coastal birding

My birding brother (he's the one who got me into this many years ago) will be
visiting in the next couple of weeks and we would like to take a trip to the
coast.  We are open to anyplace in NC, SC, and as far as Savannah NWR and area.
If any of you coastal denizens had three full days to spend anywhere on the
coast at the end of January in this region to do some good birding, where would
you go?  My brother has two possibly conflicting requests.   He would like to
see the big flocks of Snow Geese and Tundra Swan in the Mattamuskeet/Pungo area
- are they around in big numbers there at the end of January?  How is birding
at Mattamuskeet in general at that time?  Also, he recently retired and has
become a list freak (I think that gene must be on the Y-chromosome) and is
trying to get 100 species in every state, which means the SC/GA lists could be
done (he already has some in both of those states) if we did that area.
	As I live in Hendersonville (southern mts near SC line), the SC/GA
coast is actually closer, but I like the NC coast, too, so I'm torn.  I'm open
to any suggestions for a good three day trip (five days including travel time
from mts).  Thanks, Marilyn Westphal/Hendersonville - mjwestphal@unca.edu