snowbirds

Haven't had as many birds from this storm, amazingly, as we have had during
others. The most memorable was the 96 storm which brought Purple Finches,
Siskins, a Fox Sparrow and an Evening Grosbeak.

Our only yard bird in all this snow so far has been a Song Sparrow.

This time we don't have the number of the variety, but we're still watching.
The most interesting sightings – aside from me clad in trash bags up to my
knees wading in the snow – came last Tuesday night and last night. In between
snows last week we had a WB-nuthatch going from tree to tree at about 7:30
PM. It did not eat and flew off quickly. We still have two WB nuthatches so
it must have gone safely to roost.

Last night while checking for racoons on the seed feeder, I did notice a
mammal and what to my wondering binocs did I see – a wide-eyed Flying Squirel
staring back at me!!!! A first!

Our only yard bird in all this snow so far has been a Song Sparrow.

Patricia Earnhardt Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC