Blizzard Victim, Phoebe

We havn't seen "our bluebirds"  since monday.  We usually see 6-10 on the wires around the house.

Wednesday, I saw a phoebe near S. Lowell Rd in N. Durham Co, where White Horse Run connects.  Yesterday Janet saw a Phoebe giving its last gassps at the same spot.  Bad news for flycatchers.

On a lighter note.  We have had Subgum birds at our feeder and below the deck.  Close to 200 individuals.  All 3 nuthatches, fox sparrrow, thrasher, towhee.

The explanation, why subgum.  Once we were at a chinese resturant and asked the owner for a translation of subgum.  She said, "Oh, means ' Lots of Stuff'".  It has been a subgum week at the feeder.

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, NC
tkrakauer@mindspring.com