Re: P-SF logic

Here's my current take on the logic:

The bird clearly identifies itself (by its call note) as belonging to the
Pacific-slope population of the "Western" complex, regardless of whether you
believe the populations should have been split into species.  I don't agree
with Josh's opinion that the "scientific stance" is to just call it a
"Western" unless the bird is caught.

On 28 Jan 00, at 9:58, Joshua Stuart Rose wrote:

> If you report your list to the ABA for
> publication, then we cannot count this bird as Pacific-Slope unless the
> state committee accepts it as such. That's the rules of the game.

I couldn't find any mention in the ABA listing rules about your IDs needing
to by approved of by state records committee.  All the species you report
need to be currently accepted by the ABA Checklist Committee for the ABA
area.  You can read the rules and interpretations at:
http://www.americanbirding.org/reslistru2.htm

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                w 919-660-7423
cwcook@duke.edu                       h 919-967-5446