Hummer banding today

Hello!

Today I was fortunate enough to band Gary Phillips' adult male Rufous
Hummingbird.  It was a very cooperative and handsome hummer!  A few green
feathers on his back still but a beautiful large gorget and long tail.  We
took lots of photos of this amazing bird, especially at the time of its
release as it sat in Gary's hand for at least 5 minutes before heading off
into the trees.  Barbara Gearhart, the Peacheys, Gary and I all felt very
fortunate to have such an intimate visit with Gary's tiny guest.  I would
encourage anyone who is in the area to swing by and look for this fabulous
bird at the Phillips' front feeder.  If you need directions, etc. you can
contact Gary at: axis1@sccoast.net

When I returned home here in the Sandhills my husband informed me that
Brown-headed Nuthatches had been going in and out of the bird box (which
Brown-headeds used last year) at the edge of the lake all morning.  Sure
enough, when I checked, they had already lined about half of the floor with
fine grasses. I could hear them in the yard the rest of the afternoon as
they were coming and going and also foraging in the pines.  Wow!  I guess
Spring is on the way!!

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net