Re: Purple Finches: Male or Female?

cehill@u.washington.edu writes:

> What I keep wondering is why we should assume that the sex ratio is
>  anything close to 1:1 in the Carolinas in winter.  Many birds show
Good point, Chris, but I seem to recall far more Female plumaged Purple
Finches in Schenectady, NY, than males, also. And the oldest adult males, the
"dark" ones, tended to be in bachelor flocks, i.e. "differential" migration.
So we probably have both showing up here, late plumage development and
differential migration.
Pete Worthington, Simpsonville, SC