NC Albatross -- the irony

Carolinabirders:
    How ironic!
John Wright forwarded to carolinabirds the thrilling encounter by Greg
Miller of the Yellow-nosed Albatross seen this past weekend just off
Salvo.  Well, Greg's trip summary failed to mention one other "bird" we
saw -- John Wright standing at Cape Point, looking through his scope!
The Miss Hatteras passed close by the point around 4 pm, in order to
search through the Bonaparte's Gulls. We were literally close enough to
ID John through binoculars! He and Paula were leading a birding/natural
history group from the State Museum (I believe) over the weekend, and
thus were unable to join us on the boat. Foolish as we were, we yelled
at him, tried to wave our arms in big Y - N - A positions, but he either
neglected us, or never saw us.

Maybe John will be able to join Brian on the 19th on the next trip out
of Hatteras. For me, I'm doing my civic duty that weekend -- leading a
New Hope Audubon Society group to Jordan Lake. (I missed the Long-billed
Murrelet at Jordan Lake a few years ago, as did Russ Tyndall, John and
Paula, and 10-15 other CBC members, because we were on a CBC weekend on
the Outer Banks.)

Maybe I'll miss a good bird offshore, but at least people on board the
boat won't see me! Then again, maybe our group can find a rare bird, an
Empidonax flycatcher or something, at Jordan Lake.

The joys of birding.

Harry LeGrand

--
Harry E. LeGrand, Jr.