LeConte's Sparrow at Broad River

In answer to Tim's question, yes, the LeConte's he found at Broad River on
Saturday are a county first.  I wanted to be sure before I answered and the
"official" county checklist (the latest version and, as of now, current) is
maintained on the home PC.  The county checklist now stands at 210 species
and includes 16 accidentals (less than three records).  Among the more
bizarre of the accidentals are Tundra Swan, Surf Scoter, Common Goldeneye,
Sora, Marsh Wren, Nashville Warbler, Mourning Warbler.  The only other
Ammodramus sparrow on the county list before the addition of the LeConte's
was Grasshopper Sparrow, which used to be fairly reliably found in the
county at several of the larger pastures but is no longer so relatively easy
to locate.

The LeConte's is a nice addition and I expect I will run into a few other
county listers at Broad River this weekend!

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
    "Columbia Audubon Society"