Henderson County/Buncombe County update

Folks:
        I birded N. Mills River Road area of Henderson County which ends at
Pisgah National Forest.  On Dave Whitaker Road, which is off N. Mills River
Road, I had a flock of 45 Wild Turkeys consisting of 44 hens and 1 Tom.
This area is excellent for turkeys, but I have only seen them on rainy
mornings.  I have checked the same fields on clear day and haven't seen any,
this was the fourth time I checked it in the rain and have found large
flocks every time.
        On Lake Julian, in Buncombe County I had the largest raft of
assorted ducks I have seen this winter.  The raft consisted of:
        American Wigeon        Gadwall        Red-breasted Mergansers
Redheads        Lesser Scaup
        Bufflehead                    Ring-necked

        There were 3 Horned Grebes, and a 4th Grebe that was in different
plumage from the others, but due to distance and lighting conditions, I
could not call it.  I returned at 4:30 PM and due to 3 sailboats on the
lake, all waterfowl had left.

Regards,

Wayne

Wayne K. Forsythe