Migrants back in the Sandhills

Happy Spring!

I know, it is not officially spring yet but it sure seems like it now!
This morning I saw my first three migrants (Fish Crows were back a few
weeks ago but they hardly count) of the spring-- Spotted Sandpiper, Osprey
and Purple Martin all at Woodlake in Moore Co.  Also the local waterfowl
were going through the motions of nest building in a few spots.

Also, off to the west, on the edge of Anson County, Barbara Gearhart found
a Bald Eagle nest yesterday.  She observed the nest, parents and at least
one small, downy chick right at the dam at Blewett Falls from the Richmond
Co. side of the Pee Dee River. This spot, at the end of Blewett Falls Rd.,
about 5 miles north of Hwy. 74, is the best place to see the nest.  You are
far enough away to see it with a scope but not alarm the parents.  Barabara
said that she thinks it might be very difficult, if not impossible, to get
a closer view from the other side of the river due to the position of the
nest tree along the bank.  (Also, I would not be surprised if the access
road on the Anson Co. side is closed or severly restricted in the near
future, once the Wildlife Commission is notified of this new nesting
location.)  Simply look accross to the "Danger" sign near the opposite
bank, over the top of the sign to the right and the stick platform should
be noticable.

And the fun is just beginning...!

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC