Feeder birds in Columbia, SC

On Monday, February 21, I reported a feeder visit at my home by what
I called a Common Redpoll.  We could not relocate it later that day
or on the following day.  My pictures of it came out poorly.  Fortunately,
as I practiced using my videocam on the same feeder on Wednesday morning,
it actually came back (assuming it was actually the same bird; it looked
similar).   I did not even notice it at first, as one can tell watching the
tape--looking through a viewfinder is not so great.  The video is excellent,
with the streaking on the flanks clearly visible.  Pinkish coloration on the
breast is not apparent.  It would seem to be a female Common Redpoll.  It
has not returned, alas.

In fact, finch numbers in general have dropped dramatically the past
couple of days.  No Purples or Siskins at all; only a few Goldfinches
and House Finches.

However, while eating lunch, I heard a new song for my yard.  To my ear,
it sounded like a Field Sparrow just getting his act together.  Indeed,
while the singing continued from the bushes (Leyland Cypress), what was
clearly a Field Sparrow came to eat below a feeder.  This is a new yard
bird for me (never had one here or at the previous home).

Following up on the Harry's Kinglet thread, I certainly noticed the drop off
in Kinglets.  I didn't get any for the Backyard count.  I heard a couple
in the past week, but that's about it.

I'm searching now for returning Louisiana Waterthrushes along the creek
behind our yard.  Shouldn't they arrive any day?  However, it's hard to
look away from the exploding flower display.

Jerry Griggs     j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC