conservation opps for birders

Hello, Carolinabirders-

I wanted to share with you two very important bird conservation programs
you can volunteer for. Both are a great way to gain "in the field"
experience; for those of you who are already in the field, both can be
easily incorporated into field work you may already be conducting. We send
you all research material at no charge. If you can help with either or both
of these projects, please e-mail me, Allison Wells, at amw25@cornell.edu.

BIRDS IN FORESTED LANDSCAPES (BFL). BFL is working to determine the effects
of disturbance from recreational development and forest fragmentation on
the breeding success of Cooper's and Sharp-shinned hawks and on seven
species of forest thrushes (Wood, Hermit, Swainson's, Bicknell's,
Gray-cheeked, and Varied as well as Veery), several of which are
experiencing population declines. You select your own study sites in a
forest near you, then census birds on at least two visits. Results from a
similar study, Project Tanager, have been written up as a publication now
available from the Lab, called "Land Management Guide to Improving Habitat
for Scarlet Tanagers and Other Forest-Interior Birds."

Last year, we had only 6 participants in all of NC, and only 3 in SC. We
desperately need more data from your states.

For those of you in NC:
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER ATLAS PROJECT (GOWAP). The Golden-winged Warbler, as
you may know, is a species of high conservation concern. GOWAP is designed
to determine the population status and habitat and area requirements of the
Golden-winged Warbler and the Blue-winged Warbler, as well as their
hybrids. This study engages birders and professional biologists who survey
and conduct point counts at known and potential breeding sites of
Golden-winged Warblers from May through June.

We would appreciate your sharing this note with anyone you think would be
interested in helping, including state wildlife agencies, university
biology departments, nature centers and orgs, etc. Thanks, as always, for
your support of the Lab's work. We truly do appreciate it.

Allison Wells
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Ithaca, NY 14850
http://birds.cornell.edu