Bald Eagle at Lake Norman and a potential habitat

A thirdhand report, forwarded while I was out of town, cites a third year
immature Bald Eagle at the Cowan's Ford Dam on Lake Norman last Sunday
(i.e., the 19th).

So far this spring, most of my outdoor activities have been fossil
collecting trips, with birds and other live organisms as interesting
sidelights.  However, it has gotten me speculating about the merits of
quarries as habitat for birding.  Quarries such as PCS Phosphate in Aurora
produce extensive wetland and open habitats (fields or sand) and thus seem
popular with shorebirds, sparrows, soaring raptors, marsh ducks, and
freshwater piscivores.  I have seen a few reports from the old New Bern
quarry, and the material making up Craney Island is quite similar to that
over much of PCS, but is anyone looking at the wildlife in other quarry
localities?

David Campbell
UNC-Chapel Hill