Re: Owl Nest?

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Bob & Connie Shertz wrote:

> Dear Carolinabirders,

>     I thought owls built their nests in cavities in trees.  Is it
> possible that they build nests in the top of dead trees like ospreys?
> We'd be glad to give directions if anyone wants to check them out.

Connie and Bob,

What Bill Hilton Jr. said.  All owls seem to prefer cavities, but the
bigger species, especially Great Horned, can't usually find cavities big
enough and usually occupy stick nests (or sometimes just nest on the
ground).

I'll just add that whether in holes or in stick nests, none of the common
owls do any nest building at all.  They usurp pre-existing crow or hawk
nests, but don't add to them. Usurpation is pretty easy for GHOs since
they outweigh any raptor short of an osprey or an eagle by a considerable
margin.  I'd have said that no owl on earth does any nest building, but
probably there's some exception to the rule (anybody know?).

Chris Hill
Coastal Carolina University
Conway, SC