Eurasion Collard Dove in West Ashley, SC

Carolinabirders,

        Yesterday, I saw an Eurasian Collared Dove flying to the top of a
telephone pole where highway 61 splits just south of I-526 in the West
Ashley area of Charleston, SC.  The bird caught my attention because of the
tail pattern, size and color.  I saw the collar on the back of the neck once
it lit.  It reminded me of an EC Dove I had seen in downtown that preferred
the top of a telephone pole where it would light and call in the morning.  I
have now seen EC Doves in Folly Beach, James Island, West Ashley, Downtown,
Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms areas of Charleston in the past year.
With gas prices keeping my outings scarce, its nice to get an interesting
sighting without the car ride.

Mike Bernard
Charleston, SC
bernarml@musc.edu