backyard sightings: owls & swifts

Carolinabirders,

Sunday April 2, as I was gathering firewood to build the final fire of
the season I heard my first Spring Chimney Swifts over head.  Don't
worry, I didn't build the fire; the last fire of the season will have to
wait til October and then will become the first fire of the fall season!
I'm looking forward to raising our annual clutch of swifts in the chimney
again this year.

In mid-March, Anne looked out the kitchen window and said, "hey, look at
the owl box!"  Sure enough, a nice red-phase E. Screech-Owl was poking
his head out (thanks Lex!).  Unfortunately s/he didn't seem to stick
around and nest.

Jeff Pippen   	 				 jspippen@duke.edu
Botany Dept. Box 90342
Duke University, Durham, NC  27708		PH: (919) 660-7278