Congaree Swamp, 4/8/2000

Molly Bonnell and I birded at Congaree Swamp NM on Saturday morning and
early afternoon.  Complete list below:

Red-shouldered Hawk
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (the earliest arrival date yet, according to data
maintained by Robin Carter for the Swamp)
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (female, sipping on Bignonia)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher (was a bit surprised at this one, too - it seemed
early for Great Crested Flycatcher - the second earliest arrival date for
GCFL in the Swamp)
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch (a lovely male in fine feather)
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (one, just one)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Thrush sp. (heard only, just a few notes - Molly said Wood, I thought Hermit)
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler (? - we listened to several repitions of an insectlike buzzing
in a small clearing behind the maintenance sheds but were unable to locate
the bird)
Prothonotary Warbler (we had several looong looks at male Prothonotaries in
fine feather - we looked until our arms got tired of holding our bincoulars
up and then looked some more :-) )
Ovenbird (heard only - not singing, but rather chattering to himself, a bit
reminiscent of their "nightsong")
Louisiana Waterthrush
Hooded Warbler
Northern Cardinal
White-throated Sparrow
American Goldfinch

Is it obvious we were after warblers?  We worked the lower boardwalk and the
service road (we didn't spend a whole lot of time on the service road as we
felt that we were about to get caught in the rain).

This morning, in the yard, after being expected for five years, I finally
heard a House Wren.  It has been a long wait and I was really glad to hear
the bird.

The Phoebe nest was completed last week and now contains one egg (I checked
- it is a Phoebe egg and not a Brown-headed Cowbird egg).

Donna Bailey
Winnsboro, SC
e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com
    "Columbia Audubon Society"