Scarlet tanager & Cal. birding question

Yea! Heard the first scarlet tanager in our yard
today.
I was hoping he would show before Chris and I left for
the Nat'l Audubon convention in Cal. Looked, but he
flew to the left, and did not get a look at him. Then
a Sharpshin or coopers started soaring over the yard.
The bluejay seemed to be imitating the call of the
hawk and flitting all about the woods warning
everyone. The goldfinches(many!) did not seem worried
and continued to eat. The wood thrushes are here, and
the hermit thrush is still hanging around. Haven't
heard tthe hooded or ovenbird yet. Is it likely the
tanager is the same bird from the last three years?
The leaves are so full now, it is alot harder to find
the birds! I love spring though!
Any hints on birding around Monterey and down to Los
Angeles? Where to find those LA specialties?
Thanks alot, Kate
--- "Robert C. Perkins" <rperkins@fayettevillenc.com>
wrote:
> I saw my first eastern kingbird this morning at the
> edge of the Methodist
> College golf course.  Last year I saw my first one
> on April 8.  However, I
> hadn't checked that location since early last week,
> so the bird may have
> been there for a few days.
>
> Bob

> Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
> Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
> Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
> 910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu

=====
Kate Finlayson
N. Chatham Co.,N.C.