Lark Sparrow in Asheville WNC

This afternoon Cynthia and I were taking a late after-lunch walk near UNCA
when we came across a Lark Sparrow. We had good views of it through my
10x42s for a couple of minutes as it was perched in a tree and then flew to
a raised flower bed. I then called Marilyn Westphal, who works just one or
two minutes away. Marilyn relocated the bird and she and I had good views of
it from only 30-40 feet away as it was perched on a branch and then feeding
on the ground. The bird had been present for 45 minutes by the time we left.
Song and Chipping sparrows were also present.

 The Lark Sparrow was in the front yard, both on the ground and in the large
bare deciduous tree, of 26 Sevier St. It also was in a small bare deciduous
tree across the street from that house.

Take Merrimon Ave. north from I-240 to W.T.Weaver Blvd (traffic light and
Boston Pizza). Turn left onto Weaver Blvd., drive less than 1/2 mile and
take a right onto Barnard. Within a few yards you will drive over a creek.
Take an immediate left onto Sevier St. The street follows the creek for
perhaps 100 yards, then curves to the right. 26 Sevier St. is the second
house on the left after the curve (there are no houses on the left until the
street curves away from the creek).

Charlotte Goedsche
Asheville NC
goedschejanes@mindspring.com