Carolina Wren Nest

Our Carolina Wrens pick increasingly less convenient nesting places each
year.  The last several years, they have been in the garage: in shoes,
roller skates, etc.  This year they went into a workroom under (inside) the
house so that we had to leave open a regular sized door for them.  They
nested in a box on a high shelf, just above the sunflower seed stash.  I'm
sure early on they were trapped inside for a day or few since we didn't see
the nest at first.  They've fledged now, and I wonder how they all got out
the proper door. The squirrels and towhees are now suffering because their
seed cache has been cut off with the closing of the door (they went inside
too).

One year they were on top of the (deafening) motor for the central vacuum
cleaner.  I thought the intermittent blasts would surely drive them out but
they stayed (perhaps with residual hearing loss or post-traumatic stress
disorder).  We also had titmice on the top of the basketball goal this year,
in the 4+ inch metal tube.

Saw a broadwinged hawk with a rabbit nearly as big as he was on the roadside
at Whitfield last week.

Wendy Painter
Chapel Hill, NC
wsp0597@glaxowellcome.com