Chimney Swifts

        Thanks to Rob Gluck's email on 4/20 re hundreds of Chimney Swifts, I
visited the area of the old Post Office on Franklin St. in the center of
Chapel Hill this evening. I was purely astounded by the show they put on. Let
me elaborate.
        First, to get a grand view. Go to Rosemary Street, one block north of
Franklin Street and parallel to it. Locate 151 Rosemary St. on the north side
of the street. Directly across from 151 is an open stairway leading onto the
flat roof of the 2-to-3 story brick parking garage. You are now at the
backside of the block on Franklin St.  where the Post Office is. The roof of
the parking garage is a very pleasant flat roof with walks around it. Walk to
the southwest corner and you will be directly behind the northeast corner of
the Old Post Office. The large main chimney of the PO will be about 40 feet
directly in front of you, the top of the chimney only a few feet higher than
your position. You now have a grandstand view!
        I arrived at about ten minutes of eight (P.M.). There were large
numbers of Swifts flying in a big loop over the nearby rooftops. As the
minutes went by, this circle appeared to grow in numbers. At about 8:15, the
circle began to tighten and to swoop lower and lower as its numbers passed
over the PO. At 8:18, birds began to pour into the chimney. For the next four
minutes swifts poured in a tight stream into that chimney. At 8:22 the last
of the stream disappeared down the chimney; there was not one swift left to
be seen in the sky! (A very rough estimate would put the number of swifts at
over 300!)
        Having watched swifts in my neighborhood some 70 odd years ago, and
seen a couple go down this chimney or that, I had never experienced or heard
of such a massive movement into one chimney before. It was a very impressive
and exciting  act to witness, made enjoyable and easy from a perfect viewing
point. Although I took a number of photos, the light was beginning to fail
and I seriously question whether the photos will be good. For those like me
who have never seen this impressive sight, I recommend it.

Joe Fisher
Chapel Hill, N.C.
Joefisher@aol.com