Red-necked Grebe!

Hi folks - I found a Red-necked Grebe in stunning breeding plumage this
morning in an unusual place. The bird was on the Stevenson Goose Ponds in
Northampton County, NC, near the town of Garysburg. This pond is rather
closed-in on the sides, I hope the bird can get enough of a run to get out
when it is ready to resume its migration.  What a surprise! If anyone wants
to to try for the bird, directions are as follows:   Take I-95 north to
Roanoke Rapids - Weldon and exit onto US 158 and go through Weldon and
continue on 158 through Garysburg heading east. After leaving Garysburg, in
about 2-miles look for a crossroads, turning left onto Old Garysburg Rd. The
ponds will be on your right after crossing one road. The bird was in the
north pond with all the trees and islands in it. DeLorme Atlas - page 23

Also had a female Surf Scoter on Roanoke Rapids Lake at the Vultare boat ramp
off of NC 46. A great morning to be out and about. Later, Ricky

Ricky Davis
608 Smallwood Drive
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
(252)443-0276(H)