Redstart!

Hi there!

While relaxing after work on the patio, I caught movement from the corner of
my eye and followed the path of what I thought was a dark-colored falling
leaf. The "leaf" settled onto the branch of a dogwood a few feet above my
head, and began to inspect its surroundings. Turned out to be a beautiful
male American Redstart!

This is the first time I've seen one the yard, although I shouldn't be
surprised. This yar is prime for warblers, with a thick high canopy and tons
of tulip poplars.

A few moments later the Redstart was joined by another bird of equal size,
that looked a lot (to me, at least) like a white-eyed Vireo. She seemed to be
yellowish in color with a white eyebrow. I am guessing it was the female
Redstart, but I've never seen one, so I can't be sure. They did behave like a
pair, with the one following the other from branch to branch.

I guess I need to look up in my own yard more often! :-D

Lisa G.
Lisabirder@aol.com
Raleigh, NC