Grasshopper sp. @ Rich Mtn. Gap

trying again in plain text...

So much for perfect timing!  My evening grosbeaks held on till one day
before the CBC meeting, then departed to disappoint us; and yesterday I
discovered that my grasshopper sparrow had returned to his familiar spot at
Rich Mtn. Gap--a couple days after the CBC meeting!  Shucks.

While grasshopper sparrows may be more common in your vacinity, this little
fellow who spent the entire summer at the gap last year was only the 3rd
such sparrow to be seen in Watauga Cnty, where there is no recorded nesting
of that species.  Now, exactly a year to the week, another grasshopper
sparrow is claiming the very same territory (I presume it to be the same
sparrow).  Last summer the mate was never discovered.

What does this little fellow think he's doing at the gap all alone?

Well, all alone in terms of his own species.  Vesper, field, & song sparrows
are abundant at the gap--all singing heartily in the warm early evening
yesterday.

Walton Conway
Boone, NC
goldencc@boone.net

Golden Cockerel Crafts' On-Line Gallery of "Russian Gifts Fit for a Czar":
http://www.goldencockerel.com