NAMC count Saturday

While I wish South Carolina could have held the North American Migration
Count today simply because the weather is more hospitable, it was conducted
on Saturday.  The heat on Saturday was discouraging for birds and birders
alike.  Although Bob Wood, working in Chesterfield county, was upbeat about
his species numbers, the other counters who have reported so far, myself
included, were a bit disappointed in species totals.

In Chesterfield county, Bob tells me he had a "very late" Magnolia Warbler
in his species total of 81.

In Colleton county, Sharon Brown and party managed to avoid the multitude
of 'gators at Donnelly and Bear Island to find Purple Gallinules and
Sanderlings for a preliminary species total of 97, short of the usual
species count of 105-115.  Sharon noted a distressing shortage of Swallows
that has persisted since the late cold rainy spell of early May 1999.  She
ended the day with only three Tree Swallows and not too many more Barn
Swallows.

In Fairfield county, Bob Ellis and I managed to squeak out 84-85 species,
short of our usual mark of 100-102.  Among our big finds were Scarlet
Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Blackpoll Warbler (several in several different
spots).  I had not seen neither Scarlet Tanager nor Baltimore Oriole in
Fairfield county this entire spring migration, so finding them on count day
was a nice treat.  I was also thrilled to find what I believe will be a
reliable spot for some of Fairfield county's few breeding Blue-headed
Vireo.  The area is just off of Road 101 up around Lake Wateree on private
property that I had permission to bird for the count.  Found (relatively)
lots of Eastern Meadowlarks, all of them wire birds, one of them singing.
Even on a Count Day, I had to slow down for a moment and listen to the
Meadowlark sing.  The first Prothonotary Warbler of the day was a female
who did not take kindly to my walking across a part of the yard I do not
usually traverse.  It made me wonder if perhaps since they are not in the
nest box (both of my nest boxes have been claimed by Eastern Bluebirds)
they have found a natural cavity in the patch of woods between the house
and that corner of the pond.  Every count yields another new "ghost bird",
a common bird who simply disappears on count day.  One year I neither saw
nor heard a Mourning Dove until 3:00 pm.  Dwayne and Lori Martin mentioned
having trouble finding Downy Woodpeckers for their NAMC.  We also had
trouble finding Downy Woodpeckers, as well as Carolina Wrens.  Bob and I
had to go back to my house and watch the feeders to find us a couple of
Downies and we did finally hear a (one) Carolina Wren late in the day.  But
not even the Carolina Wren who lives in the woodpile made an appearance
Saturday.

And in answer to Jerry's question on the whereabouts of the fireflies, if
the moonlight sonata of frogs I heard at the house Saturday night (as I
stood outside vainly endeavoring to hear just one more species to add to
the day's list) is any indication, the fireflies are well on their way to
becoming little frogs. ;-)  In all seriousness, there has been a deficit of
fireflies in our neck of the woods, too.

Again, thanks to all the NAMC counters across the state!  You really
suffered for this one and I appreciate your effort and your gumption in
dealing with that broiling heat on Saturday!

Donna S. Bailey
Winnsboro, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

	Where are the Birds?  Migration across South Carolina

	Coulmbia Audubon Society