Re: Finding a Mississippi Kite

C-Birders,

I have been asked for directions to good spots for Mississippi Kite and
Bachman's Sparrow in South Carolina. These are both fairly common and
wide-spread species, findable in lots of places.

Mississippi Kites are fairly common breeders along most of the rivers of
South Carolina, from the Fall Line to the sea. I sometimes see them in my
neighborhood in Columbia.  One good spot near Columbia is at the boat
landing where US 601 crosses the Congaree River, between Camden and St.
Matthews.  Just about any boat landing in the Coastal Plain will do.  There
are LOTS of places with Mississippi Kites.  Try the Santee Delta where US 17
crosses the Santee  River in Georgetown County, and you will likely see both
Mississippi and Swallow-tailed Kites.

Bachman's Sparrows breed in just about every county of the state.  In the
Piedmont look for HUGE regenerating pine plantations (400 acres or larger),
and listen for their song.  In the Coastal Plain look for old growth pine
woods.

There are lots of places to try.  Try the old growth longleaf pine woods at
Carolina Sandhills NWR for Bachman's Sparrow and Red-cockaded Woodpecker,
and then go over to the Great Pee Dee River at Society Hill for Mississippi
Kite.  In Charleston County try the entrance road to the Santee Coastal
Reserve for the sparrow, and then go over to the Santee Delta for the kites.
In Jasper County try B&C Landing one the southern edge of the Tillman
Sandridge Heritage Preserve for the kites, and check out the piney woods of
the preserve for the sparrow.

In the Francis Marion NF check out the I'on Swamp and Willow Hall Roads for
kites and sparrows.  Also good is the Halfway Creek Road, which runs along
the Berkeley -- Charleston County line.

In the ACE Basin area, get off of I-95 at the US 21 Exit, just after the
rest area but before you cross the Combahee River.  For kites go south on US
21 to the boat landing on the Combahee River. Once you are done at the
landing, continue ahead towards Yemassee to the first road on our right, Rum
bluff Road.  Just 0.1 mile down this road park at the trailhead for the
Rumbluff Trail (ACE Basin NWR) and walk along an old logging road into the
flood plain forest.  This spot is great for Swainson's Warbler.  Look up for
kites, White Ibis, and Wood Stork.

 For Bachman's Sparrow go north on US 21 for 4 miles from the I-95 exit to
Black Creek Road.  Here turn right and bird along the road as it passes
through great pine woods. This is private property, so bird from the
roadside.  Red-cockaded Woodpecker is possible here, but not likely.
Bachman's Sparrows are common.

While you are in the neighborhood, check out the Buckfield Reserve near
Yemassee.  Take I-95 to the Yemassee exit and go north.  About 0.2 miles
from the exit turn left (southwest) on a secondary road, which becomes the
frontage road of I-95.  When you get to a stop sign, turn right and go about
0.2 miles to the Reserve, a freshwater impoundment.  There are hundreds of
White Ibis breeding here, and numerous herons, Wood Storks, and Anhingas in
the neighborhood.  Very impressive!

Robin Carter
803-782-8820
Columbia, SC