I got the Blues! (I think.)

I was working in Spindale at the Wal-Matr today, and remembering some
folks comments on Blue Grosbeaks being more common in the Piedmont, I
struck out during lunch to see if I could find one. I went up a country
road, found a pasture, and saw 2 Blue Birds, mom and pop. Heard (on the
way) many Indigos, but did not stop. After turning around and coming back
to the pasture, I noted a smaller bird on the wire a bit away from the
BB's. Having the BB's for size comparison, I noted it was too big for a
IB, though it was blue. It was giving a note like "speak, speak", and
turned in the sunlight, though I never could get the wing bars. Had a big
beak though. It did not have that shimmering blue of an IB, and the tail
was kind of notched with rounded tips. Flew into an Oak tree abt 30 yds
from me, and was hidden by the leaves, so still could not see the wing
bars. Noticed that it was a dusky blue, bigger than a Song Sparrow,
smaller than a BB. Flew back to a Wild Cherry, where it was chased off by
a smaller brown bird. Did I see what I think I saw? Is it peristroika?
Alex Netherton
The Appalachian Naturalist
Asheville, NC
http://www.appalachian-naturalist.com
Featuring forums, lists, and classes in the field.