Re: Pileated Woodpecker

Paulette B. wrote:
>Another new yard bird!  Had a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers visit
>yesterday....

  I've had almost weekly reports for the last 3 mos. of Pileateds showing up
in peoples' yards or even feeders. And last weekend 3
babies fledged from a NEST in a residential Durham backyard. Amazing how
well this bird (of the deep forest in my childhood) is adapting
to human development.
  Could not the Ivory-bill as well have adapted to a smaller, less
specialized habitat than that which it is alleged to have
required.... :-)

**Rob Gluck      Chapel Hill     thrush@hotmail.com