Pileated Woodpecker in the City

Hello Carolina Birders,

I have been following the discussion of pileated woodpeckers appearing in
backyards with great interest.  I was thinking what a great treat for those
that have seen one.  Today I was the lucky one.  One appeared in my backyard
and I, too, live in the city.  There is a very small woods behind my house,
but I am also very close to a large commercial area.  I would have thought
any self-respecting pileated would have thought this area was far too
civilized.  I am glad to see that they are adapting well.

I also have been interested in other people who have finches coming to their
humming bird feeders.  The finches tried to come to mine, also, but the
perches were too small.  But the perches were not too small for the
chickadees.  I have seen chickadees at the HB feeder several times.

Ginny Kloepfer
Greenville, NC