Song Sparrow habitat

Recent discussion of adaptability of some birds to urban environments,
as well as the possibility that these birds make up "sink" populations,
prompts me to comment on another species.  In my experience, the Song
Sparrow is pretty scarce in the breeding season in the Triangle area.  I
do occasionally encounter one, and when I do, it is almost always in a
shopping center parking lot that is landscaped with hedges.  In fact I
have a vague impression that numbers have increased very slightly over
the last few years.  (Or am I just shopping more?  I don't think so.)
I've never frequented a given parking lot enough to get an idea of
whether the birds are breeding successfully, or even being resident for
a long enough time to suggest that they are breeding.  Has anyone
noticed this habitat "preference" elsewhere in the Carolinas?  I do know
that the species is a more regular breeder in some areas.

Kent Fiala
Raleigh NC