Memorial Weekend Pelagic trips

The pelagic trips off the outer banks this weekend produced some
excellent birds, despite bad weather on Monday. As an overview, the
headline for the weekend was that the full grand slam of Pterodroma
petrels was seen in multiples. I'll let Brian tell the details of his
trips, and Ricky Davis (a leader on my trips) will post the totals for
Saturday and Sunday. However, the highlights from Sunday were a dark
morph Herald Petrel and a Bermuda Petrel. Both birds came by close but
neither stayed to give the sort of views one would like and
unfortunately the birds were seen by only about half those on board.

I have no further trips scheduled for this summer but would strongle
recommend getting on one of Brian's trips this summer. A couple months
ago, a potential participant asked (in jest) if I could guarantee a
Bermuda Petrel. My response was that I could guarantee he would NOT see
one by not going. Based on early season activity, this seems to be
shaping up as a better than average season for these petrels.

Mike Tove
mtove@insureain.com