Re: Song Sparrow habitat

Dear Kent and All-

Interesting you should bring this topic up at the moment.  Moore County
seems to be south of the breeding range for Song Sparrows in NC.  We see
plenty in winter but then they all head north by mid-May.   However, on
Sunday I went to our Lowe's in Southern Pines and discovered a male Song
Sparrow singing in the Garden Center from a light pole in the section lined
with trees and shrubs for sale.  I suspect it is the same bird I
encountered there last year. It did not appear to have a mate (as was the
case through early last June) nor could I locate a nest.  But now I am more
curious and will make a few more trips to actually *check* during the next
few months.   Sheeesh- defending a territory right there surrounded by
concrete, alongside the House Sparrows and House Finches...

Susan M. Campbell
Whispering Pines, NC

ncaves@utinet.net