RE: peregrines in NC mountains?

PEFAs typically breed when three to four years old, although sub-adults are
capable of reproducing (most likely with a lower reproductive success rate
than full adults).  It is possible that a PEFA could reproduce at two years
of age.  At Grandfather Mt. there appears to be an adult and sub-adult bird
which to date have been successful hatching at least one chick.  At one
other site (Whiterock) we believe PEFAs have been unsuccessful given that
one of the birds is a sub-adult.  At Hanging Rock State Park PEFAs may not
have been successful due to competition with Turkey Vultures and Ravens.
These observations are a combination of speculation and an educated guess.
Failure of PEFAs to reproduce at some of our other sites is a mystery.

Regarding the distance PEFAs will travel to hunt, we do not know.  PEFAs are
believed to travel widely when not breeding to hunt, possibly following the
food supply.  During the breeding season it is believed that they stay
closer to the eyrie.  Indirect evidence supports this claim given one PEFA
of the pair is often absent for no more than 4 hours before returning to the
eyrie with food or to make an incubation exchange.

John

John P. Cecil
91 White Oak Road
Arden, North Carolina 28704