Re: Bermuda Petrel replies

I will echo the comments of Maclin Smith that Black-capped Petrel looks dark
(blackish) and Bermuda Petrel gray to brown. This May, I saw my second,
probably third; an adult close to the boat but only briefly. The bird was in
worn plumage which probably enhanced the "oddness" of the back color but it
was notably paler than a Black-capped; rather grayish-brown to brownish
gray. It showed a darker "M" back pattern which was pretty evident as it
approached the boat (from "6:00") but as it passed the left side, the "M"
pattern seemed to "disappear." The upperparts looked nothing like a
Black-capped petrel (and I've seen untold thousands of the latter). Not only
was the color notably different, there was NO white in the rump. Instead, it
was frosty grayish (very much like Fea's) but the paleness was limited to a
pale crescent at the base of the tail (distal coverts). The wings also
looked longer and less pointed and less lapired from body to tip. The
flight, although definitely arcing, reminded me of a shearwater as much as a
gadfly petrel. I also thought the underwing patern looked different, but
those who didn't know to look for differences fdid not perceive any.
However, the leading dark bar was not only thicker than on a Black-capped,
it hugged the edge more. The white of the underwing, while bold and bright,
was limited to the middle third or so of the full underwing.

Whatever is going on, it is clear that this year can certainly be called the
"Year of the Bermuda Petrel."  Personally, I believe we've been overlooking
them and, like Herald and Fea's before it, will soon be recognized as an
every year bird. Consider the following: The world population of Bermuda
Petrels is about 200 birds. They breed October -May about 650 miles distant.
The world population of Fea's Petrels (from Bugio = the ones we see) numbers
perhaps 300 (best estimate), breeds July- Jan over 3000 miles distant. We
see 3-5 of those each year, mostly May and June.

Mike Tove
Cary, NC
mtove@insureain.com