Re: Odd Bird(?) Sound

What you probably heard was a White-tailed deer "snorting" out air through
its nostrils.  It is an alarm noise.  The noise is often accompanied by
front foot pawing/stomping and then turning tail up and running away(by the
way, that's where the expression "high-tail it out" comes from).   As for it
sounding like it came from up in the trees, I have yet to see a deer in a
tree!:)  Sound around the river bounces and carries around.

C-birders,
Caught a glimpse of a possible black-billed cuckoo today on Cox's Mtn. trail
down by the river.  I do say possible, because I never could get an
unobstructed view of the whole bird.  One time glimpse of bill looked black.
  I'll try that area again.

Lori Marlow
Park Ranger
Eno River State Park