Am. Kestrels

Hi Carolinabirders,
	On the theme of where Kestrels nest, in the nine years I have lived here
on the Grand Strand of SC, I have seen Kestrels in summer on only three
occasions.  Two were in July along SC 17 at intersections near Broadway at
the Beach. The birds were taking insects off the grass and fields nearby. I
could not stop as I was in the middle of tourist traffic. The other
occasion was four years ago in mid-June on my former BBS route North and
East of Conway near route 954 in Horry County.
	Chris Marsh said that they bred for a number of years in the middle of
Myrtle Beach with the nest being located in some seldom used outbuildings
at the Pepper-Geddings Recreation Area. From what Harry said I would not be
surprised if Kestrels didn't nest somewhere over at the former Myrtle Beach
Air Force Base.

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC