Eurasian Collared-Dove and Cliff Swallow in Kershaw Co., SC

Hi CarolinaBirders,

This morning (18 June) Caroline and I drove up to the Scissor-tailed
Flycatcher stake-out near Monroe, NC, and had great looks at both birds.  On
the way home we did a little birding in northern Kershaw County.  Most
notably we found a single Eurasian Collared-Dove in Bethune (on the shoulder
of SC 341 on the north side of town, just opposite the "Home of the Chicken
Strut" sign).  We also checked out the spot at the boat ramp under the US 1
bridge of the Wateree River in Lugoff and found dozens of nesting Cliff
Swallows.  This nesting site was discovered by Lex Glover last year (if not
earlier), and is a very easy place to view this species.  Other birds of
note in Kershaw County included a Mississippi Kite, a singing Bachman's
Sparrow (which Caroline spotted before we heard it sing), an Osprey, and
four heron species -- Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, and Cattle
Egret.  The Osprey and herons were all at the US 1 boat landing in Lugoff,
where the Cliff Swallows are.

Speaking of Cliff Swallows, yesterday (Saturday) Caroline and I saw a few
flying over the Blossom Street Bridge (US 21 bridge) over the Congaree River
in Columbia.  Tim Kalbach, Gary Sowell, and Nancy Lyman found the nests
under this bridge during our spring count.  This is, as far as I can tell,
the first breeding record of Cliff Swallow for Richland County.

Another species which is very common in the right habitat in the Columbia
area this year is Painted Bunting.  There are usually a few pair breeding
somewhere in the area any year, but this year they are almost common in the
scrubby bottomlands along the Congaree River, and even occur up in the
Piedmont at Saluda Shoals Park.

Don't miss the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.  They put on quite a show!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com